Thursday, February 8, 2007

learning environment (read the full post)



IN Savage Minds: I eventually came to the conclusion that “teaching” is a hindrance to
learning. The word, “teacher” in itself suggests that learning requires
teaching. In fact, the best learning almost always occurs in the
absence of a teacher.

[The teacher's role is being a - very - important part in the ecology.]

Before I go much further in my
description of “anti-teaching” I might say that I do not recommend it
for everybody, nor do I think anti-teaching is necessarily superior to
teaching. Both must co-exist, for together they are greater than the
sum of their parts. If you are a “teacher” please do not take offense
to my anti-teaching philosophy. All I am attempting to provide is a
necessary companion to traditional teaching.

The only answer to the best questions is another good question. And so
the best questions send students on rich and meaningful lifelong
quests, question after question after question. [because what you learn is structures, frames, a "language"] ... Frustrated with this question (“What do we need to know for this test?”), and hoping to get my students to ask
better questions, I decided to get to work creating a learning
environment more conducive to producing the types of questions that
create lifelong learners rather than savvy test-takers.





powered by performancing firefox

No comments: